Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Modular olinks

Hi Robert,
First, you don't want to use %, which is a parameter entity which
is only used internally to a DTD.  You want an entity that is
used in your content.

So you should be able to declare a general text entity in your
document and reference it in the targetdoc attribute.

<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "docbook.dtd" [
<!ENTITY config "foo">
]>
<book>
<olink targetdoc="&config;" targetptr="whatever"/>

An entity like this is resolved when the file is parsed when the
file is opened, so it is already resolved when the stylesheet is
applied.  So the stylesheet will see:

<olink targetdoc="foo" targetptr="whatever"/>

 If you are using XInclude, you need to pay attention to how
entity declarations are merged, so see this reference:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html#XincludeTextEntities

You should also be able to declare a similar entity in your olink
database file, and use that in the targetdoc attribute of the
document element there.  It also will be resolved when the olink
database is opened and parsed, and will be available when the
stylesheet reads the database to look up the olink.

If you are having a problem with unresolved olinks, you might try
temporarily replacing an entity reference &foo; with the actual
text string "config" and see if that is the problem.  Most likely
there is some other issue with resolving the olink.

DocBook Consulting