Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Microsoft AP Help and DocBook

Kohei Yoshida wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on this list knows of AP Help, which is
> Microsoft's new help format slated for inclusion with Windows Vista, and
> its implication with DocBook, more specifically, whether DocBook can be
> used to produce an AP Help as an output just like it currently does with
> HTML Help.

DocBook can be used to produce AP Help (MAML), but the stylesheets
doesn't currently support this output format.

> Since the AP Help uses an XML schema called MAML, in theory it's just a
> matter of writing a good XSL stylesheet from DocBook to MAML.

"Just" is probably not the best fit to describe situation here. Other
help formats like HTML Help or Java Help are HTML based. It means that
base DocBook HTML stylesheets was extended with just quite short code
that generated necessary supplementary files. With MAML, situation is
very different. You must create completely new stylesheet which will
handle all 400+ DocBook elements and transform them to MAML. This is not
work for two afternoons.

I doubt that someone will write this stylesheet just for fun as was the
case for HTMLHelp, Java Help and Eclipse stylesheets. But with some
funding I can imagine that you can convince me or some other core
stylesheet developer to dig inside details of MAML schema and write the
code necessary to transform DocBook into MAML.

				Jirka

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
      ** XSLT 13.-16.3.2006 ** XML schémata 24.-26.4.2006 **
        ** DocBook 15.-17.5.2006 ** XSL-FO 12.-13.6.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature