Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook toolchain tips

For graphical XML editors, if being free is not a requirement then you
should also look at XMetal from Blast Radius, Serna from Syntext, and
Arbortext Editor from PTC.

For making the case for DocBook, you might want to take a look at the
slides for a presentation I made last year on "Single Source Publishing
With DocBook XSL".  It is available from my website home page:

http://www.sagehill.net

Feel free to borrow the ideas and bullet points to make your case.  If you
borrow the slide set, I'd appreciate getting some credit.

DocBook Consulting

From: "Luciano Scavizzi" <feanorelf@gmail.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:17 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Docbook toolchain tips

I am pushing my company to adopt Docbook as a "documentation
standard", but, of course, my (questionable) personal charme is not a
point good enough  to convince my colleagues and our senior
management.

As speaking of semantics precision and separation of content from
format is not that a involving subject, the basic point I am making
out is the advantage of single-source documents.

On the other hand, I usually write my XML docs with a plain text
editor, I do not think many employees of ours are confident with
markup languages and would switch happily from MS Word to inputing
tagged text in an editor. I wonder if you can suggest some esy-to-use
authoring tool (I've already tried Sydoc) for Win32.

Furthermore, as a FO formatter, I am realizing FOP, while being more
than enough form my personal use, is far from flawless.
I have tested XSL Formatter and XEP, and I must say I like very much
the former for its speed and its neat output (I also understood it has
a very good standard compliance). I have also found on the web many
more tools I haven't tested yet, and I could not find any
comprehensive fo-support comparison chart, but one at
http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/comparison-fo.htm. Which of the
processors around are worth a try in your opinion?
My minimum requirements are good SVG support and a "predictable"
behavior (i.e. adhere quite strictly to w3c recommendations).

Thanks,
Luciano