Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to translate several terms in docbook gentext xml file

I'll try to answer some of your questions below, but Norm might know more
of the history of them.

There are quite a few terms in the locale files that are not called by the
XSL stylesheets.  I think many of them were used in the DSSSL stylesheets
that preceded the XSL stylesheets.  The locale source files are used to
build the distribution locale files for both DSSSL and XSL.

Now that you bring it up, perhaps its time to split off the XSL source so
it could be cleaned up.  That would make it easier on the translators, and
perplexed users.  The DSSSL stylesheets are only getting minor updates now,
and I don't think anyone plans any significant reworking of the locale
machinery for DSSSL.  If we leave the current files in place for DSSSL, the
version for XSL could be cleaned up.  Would DSSSL users complain if we did
that?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Shopov" <ash@contact.bg>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] How to translate several terms in docbook gentext
xml file

> Hi guys,
>
> We are having trouble with some of the terms in docbook gentext xml
> file, so I would like to ask about several of them:
>
> 1. On capital letters:
> There are lots of keys spelled with a capital and a small letter:
> abstract, answer, appendix, etc.
> Now the original tag in docbook are all lowercase. What is the
> difference then? When is the capital letter version used and when the
> lowercase version? Is there a special kind of XSLT magic going on?

I think the uppercase names might be used in DSSSL.  The uppercase key
names for elements (such as "Chapter" and "Appendix") are not used at all
in the stock XSL stylesheets, as far as I can tell.  The stylesheet uses
the element name as the key, and the element names are all lower case.

> 2. ProductionSet means - a set of Bachus-Naur productions? Am I right?
> Why has none of the translators translated it like this?

I don't know.

> 3. Taking a look at
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/docbook/gentext/locale/en.xml?rev=1.52&view=auto
> Why is there no colon in the English version here:
>
> <gentext key="Editedby" text="Edited by"/>
> <gentext key="editedby" text="Edited by"/>
>
> While there is colon in the English version here:
>
> <gentext key="Revisedby" text="Revised by: "/>
> <gentext key="revisedby" text="Revised by: "/>
>
> These two look very similar?

I don't think these are used in the stock stylesheets, but some one could
customize to use them.  Then they could fix the style too I supposed.

> 4. When do these tags appear in the original docbook:
> <gentext key="above"         text="above"/>
> <gentext key="below"         text="below"/>

Not at all, as far as I can tell.

> 5. What is the difference between all of these (see also or see)
>
> <gentext key="GlossSee" text="Вж."/>
> <gentext key="glosssee" text="вж."/>
> <gentext key="GlossSeeAlso" text="Вж. също"/>
> <gentext key="glossseealso" text="вж. също"/>
> <gentext key="RefSection" text="Виж по-точно в"/>
> <gentext key="refsection" text="виж по-точно в"/>
> <gentext key="see" text="вж."/>
> <gentext key="See" text="Вж."/>
> <gentext key="seealso" text="вж. също"/>
> <gentext key="Seealso" text="Вж. също"/>
> <gentext key="SeeAlso" text="Вж. също"/>

They could be used in a customization layer if one wanted to refer to
different cases in different contexts.

> 6. By the way - a preview (not the final version of the updated Bulgarian
> translation of bg.xml) is available here:
> http://fsa-bg.org/repos/gtp/non-gtk/gentext/bg.xml
> A nicer view with history of the changes is available here:
> http://fsa-bg.org/project/gtp/file/non-gtk/gentext/bg.xml

I'll be happy to check that in when you think it is ready.

DocBook Consulting