Subject: Multiple different types of authors

Greetings again.

I am currently porting a legacy project in DocBook from custom XSLT scripts
that I wrote to the DocBook XSL project.  That means I need to undo and
refactor some ignorant hacks I made originally. :-)

One of them is that each article in my book has multiple authors, in different
positions.  How would I differentiate a "primary author", "contributing
authors", etc.?  In the old code I was abusing the role attribute of
<authorgroup>, but of course by default that's ignored by the DocBook XSL
setup.  What's the best way to denote them, semantically and
transformationally?

(Ideally I'd like to have a series of lists going across the page in the final
output, something like:)

Primary      Contributing
Joe              Frank
Bob             Steve