Subject: Page numbering

Hello,
I am working with docbook-xsl 1.70.1 and using saxon to handle profiling and fo conversion, then using fop to convert from fo to pdf.  I am having some issues with page numbering.  I would like my books to start page numbering at 1 in the first chapter.  As it is, I am getting TOC and preface numbered with roman numerals (which is what I want), but the first chapter (where the numbering switches to arabic numerals) continues where the preface left off.  For example, if the preface is 7 pages long, the last page number for the preface is vii, and the first page number of the first chapter is 8.  I would like the preface to remain the same, but have the first page of the first chapter be page 1.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John