Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Suggested Writing Style

> If I read Sean and Bob right, (1) and (2) should be equivalent and
> should produce a nicely formatted paragraph and footnote without
> extraneous spaces? But (4) and (5) may introduce a trailing space?

I am curious. Why not just run a transformation with each of your senarios and
investigate the result to see what will happen?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
                         "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";>
<article>
	<title>Article Title</title>
	<!--So, based on Sean's response and Bob's elaboration about elements
	allowing PCDATA, let me ask about another case. Let's say I have a
	paragraph with footnotes...-->

	<!--Should I have (1):-->

	<!--Or should I have (2):-->

	<para>This is text.
		<footnote>
			<para>This is a footnote.</para>
		</footnote>
		This is more text.</para>

	<!--Or what if I have a footnote for the last sentence of a paragraph (3)?-->

	<para>This is the first sentence. This is the last

	<!--Or this (4):-->

	<para>This is the first sentence. This is the last sentence.
		<footnote>
			<para>This is the footnote.</para>
		</footnote></para>

	<!--Or this (5):-->
	<para>This is the first sentence. This is the last sentence.
		<footnote>
			<para>This is the footnote.</para>
		</footnote>
	</para>

	<!--If I read Sean and Bob right, (1) and (2) should be equivalent and
	should produce a nicely formatted paragraph and footnote without
	extraneous spaces? But (4) and (5) may introduce a trailing space?-->
</article>

This will produce
--
Ask me about the Monkey.