Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Can inline styling be removed with XHTML and HTML?

Charlie Hubbard <charlie.hubbard@gmail.com>, 2006-09-03 14:28 -0400:

> I'm trying to style my docbook output in XHTML using CSS, but I've
> noticed there is quite a bit of styling that is inlined in the HTML
> output with the style attribute.  Since style attribute overrides
> linked styles how can I remove all the inline styling?

There are actually very few instances where the stylesheets output
inline style attributes. They do it by design (to provide sensible
default styling in case a document is output without a link to
an external CSS stylesheet), and for most of the cases, you can
suppress output of the inline style attributes by setting the
values of the following stylesheet parameters like so:

  * Set css.decoration to 0.
  * Set admon.style to the empty string.

You should also make sure that the value of table.borders.with.css
is 0 (that's the default, so unless you changed it for some
reason, it should still be set to that).

And note that CSS properties set by inline style attributes do not
always override linked styles. To have linked styles override the
properties in the style attribute, use the "!important" keyword:

  div.foo {
    padding-bottom: 2em ! important;
  }

smime.p7s