Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] can anyone recommend a more/better "marked up"form of...

the problem is that <citation> allows PCDATA.  <biblioref> has to be a link.

if JSCET is a link to a <bibliography> item try:
or, even better, just:
<biblioref linkend="JSCET"/> (p.805)

<biblioref> is unambiguous to any machine processing.  <citation> has
multiple meanings - including PCDATA and many others.  With
<bilioref> you can construct your <bibliography> section of
<bibliomixed> automatically if this links to a master file of biblio
refs.
You could of course use <xref> - but that will point to just about anything.

Ron

see recent emails about this from Bob and Jirka, especially

Hi Jirka,
Yes, I think his point was that this is a bug in the stylesheet.
Specifically this template in html/inline.xsl:

<xsl:template match="citation">
  <!-- todo: integrate with bibliography collection -->
  <xsl:variable name="targets" select="(//biblioentry |
//bibliomixed)[abbrev = string(current())]"/>
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$targets">
      <xsl:call-template name="xref">
        <xsl:with-param name="targets" select="$targets"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:message>
        <xsl:text>Citation to nonexistent publication abbrev: </xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="."/>
      </xsl:message>
      <xsl:text>[</xsl:text>
      <xsl:call-template name="inline.charseq"/>
      <xsl:text>]</xsl:text>
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

The case when there is no matching target should not generate an
error message because such a match is not required.  The problem, of
course, is trying to guess when a target was intended but none was
found because of a typo.  Since this is PCDATA, I don't think there
is any way to tell. I usually recommend people use xref directly if
they want a link that can be verified.
Bob Stayton

Yes, indeed. But in scientific publishing it is usually more
convenient to use abbrev/citation then @id/xref. Anyway I removed
warning and put FO code into shape with HTML code.
Jirka