Subject: xxx encountered in section, but no template matches

This is an "anyone else see this? message.

I've been seeing mysterious messages from xsltproc for some
of my documents, on some of my machines:

listitem encountered in section, but no template matches.
secondary encountered in section, but no template matches.
primary encountered in section, but no template matches.
(many times)

This is with documents that pass validation.

I typically see that kind of thing when transforming .xml
to .fo, but I also sometimes see the following when
transforming .xml to .html:

No template matches listitem in section.
(many times)

I thought perhaps this was due to my customization layers,
and indeed commenting out various parts of them could cause
the problem to go away. But eventually (after edits to the
documents) it would return. And it was somewhat mysterious
why it would occur only on some machines.

Then it occurred to me that it might be an xsltproc version
problem. Indeed,the machines where the problems happen
were all running libxslt-1.1.17, machines free of the problem
were running older versions like 1.1.12.

It turns out that I can fix the problem on the affected
machines (apparently) by downgrading to libxslt-1.1.16. Yay!

But I say "apparently" because after being bedeviled by this
problem and my various other attempts to solve it, I'm
suspicious that I haven't really found the cause.

So: Does anyone else see the symptoms I describe? Are you
running libxslt-1.1.17?