Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Locations for admonition graphics, etc.

Hi Alan,
This could be easier than it currently is.  There is no single parameter
that sets the paths to the generated graphics.  Here are the relevant
parameters:

<xsl:param name="admon.graphics.path">images/</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="callout.graphics.path" select="'images/callouts/'"/>
<xsl:param name="navig.graphics.path">images/</xsl:param>  [HTML only]
<xsl:param name="draft.watermark.image"
select="'http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png'"/>  [FO
only]

As far as I know, only draft.watermark.image uses an offsite URL.

The basic problem is that a catalog file won't help the stylesheet find
these.  A catalog is only used when the file referenced by a URI is
actually opened.  In the case of HTML and FO, only references to file paths
are made.  It is the HTML browser and XSL-FO processor, respectively, that
actually opens the graphics files.

Also, a relative path is taken as relative to the document being processed,
not relative to the stylesheet location. So although the graphics ship with
the stylesheets, the location of the stylesheets relative to the documents
can't be known by the distribution.

So you do have to set some parameters (or copy the files to your document
area) to make these graphics useful. But your suggestion that there should
be a single parameter is a good one.  Maybe something this would help:

<xsl:param name="generated.graphics.path">images/</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="admon.graphics.path" select="$generated.graphics.path"/>
<xsl:param name="callout.graphics.path"
select="concat($generated.graphics.path, 'callouts/'"/>
<xsl:param name="navig.graphics.path" select="$generated.graphics.path"/>
<xsl:param name="draft.watermark.image"
select="concat($generated.graphics.path, 'draft.png'"/>

Changing draft.watermark.image's default value from an http URL to a
non-working local value might make some people unhappy, because at least
there is a default location if you don't reset the parameter.  But I always
reset that parameter anyway because I don't want to access the Internet.

Further suggestions welcome.

DocBook Consulting