Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using a processing instruction to indicate customization URL

Well, I can help you with getting the stylesheet to read a processing instruction that appears before the root element.  The DocBook stylesheets have a match template on document root (match="/") that selects the first element for processing, and doesn't consider anything else.  This template in your customization layer will recognize your PIs at the root level, and then apply the original template:

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="/processing-instruction('MyInstruction')"/>
  <xsl:apply-imports/>
</xsl:template>

But I'm not sure what you are expecting the customization layer to do with the information.  In XSLT 1.0, there is no option for dynamic loading of stylesheet modules.  8^)

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:15 PM

Hi,

I am new to DocBook and XSLT.  I am using DocBook with DocBook XSL 1.69.1.

I want to use a processing instruction in my DocBook XML to indicate the location of my customization.xsl file. I was hoping it would look something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?MyInstruction CustomizationLayer=" customization.xsl" ?>
<book>

   .

   .

   .

</book>

I would then write a template to capture the value such as:

<xsl:template match="processing-instruction(‘MyInstruction’)">
   “do something here”
</xsl:template>

However, I am unable to capture “MyInstruction” at all. It does work if I put the processing instruction in the “<chapter>” element, but this would be inappropriate.

Can someone tell me the proper way to handle this?

Jerry J

Satuit Systems