Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] is there a good way to turn off doctype declarations in single and chunked xhtml output?

Hi Chris,
I've been running into the same problem.  For chunking, these parameters
set the doctype, and if you set them to empty strings, then you should get
no DOCTYPE in your chunked output:

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-public" select="''"/>
<xsl:param name="chunker.output.doctype-system" select="''"/>

For single file output, it seems to be very hard to eliminate the DOCTYPE.
The doctype-public and doctype-system attributes in the xsl:output would
normally control it.  There is such an xsl:output in xhtml/docbook.xsl that
contains the doctype values for XHTML that you see in your output.

If a stylesheet has more than one xsl:output that specifies the same
attribute, then the first rule (according to Michael Kay's XSLT
Programmer's Reference 2nd edition page 272) is that an xsl:output that
specifies a value for the attribute takes precedence over the one that
leaves it defaulted.  The second rule is that if several xsl:output
elements specify a value for the same attribute, the one with the highest
import precedence wins.

Unfortunately, this combination of rules leaves no option for resetting it
to blank in the customization layer.  If you leave out the attributes, then
the original ones apply.  If you add them but set them to an empty value,
then you get a DOCTYPE with empty values rather than no DOCTYPE.  I haven't
found a way to override the original to get no DOCTYPE.  I think you have
to edit the original xsl:output element in xhtml/docbook.xsl to remove the
attributes.  I hope someone tells me that I'm wrong.

DocBook Consulting