Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Framemaker to DocBook conversion

Steve's experience stress the importance of knowing the target format and having some means of testing how the conversions deviates from the intended result.

If the unstructured FrameMaker documents are already consistently marked up, I'd suggest:
- Be prepared for a learning experience
- Create DocBook representations by hand of some representative documents, so that you test the quality of your conversion process
- Set up logistics so that you can track versions of documents as well as issues and progress in conversion quality
- Rely on on FrameMaker conversion tables to do the grunt work, and fix up the result with whatever means you are comfortable with
- Clean up the unstructured FrameMaker documents to facilitate conversion.

If the unstructured FrameMaker documents are a mess, you could give CambridgeDocs a try. CambridgeDocs rely on the visual formatting to infer the structure of the document.

If the unstructured FrameMaker documents rely on deep mojo and dirty tricks, avoid doing the conversion, or simplify the documents before conversion.

Kind regards
Peter Ring