Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] generating an index with 2 columns

After an exchange off-line, Bob found why I was not able to generate an index with 2 columns.
For the archive, here is what Bob sent me:
This is an index inside an article, rather than in a book.  An article in DocBook is processed in a single fo:page-sequence, and there is no option in XSL-FO to switch to two-column layout in the middle of a page-sequence.

However, you could define the article's page-sequence as two columns, and then put everything else before the index inside an fo:block with span="all".    Then it will revert to two columns for the index.

You would need to set the column.count.body stylesheet parameter to 2, and customize the match="article" template from fo/component.xsl to add the block wrapper, starting before the titlepage.  Where it currently says:

<xsl:apply-templates/>

instead it should be:

<xsl:apply-templates select="*[not(self::index)]"/>
</fo:block> <!-- close the span block -->
<xsl:apply-templates select="index"/>

I did the changes as suggested and it worked!

Many thanks to Bob for all his help.

Diane Larin
INRO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Larin" <diane@inro.ca>