Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Assigning Default Role Values to Elements

Hi Ray,
I still don't understand your usage of the word "default" here.  I get the part about you wanting to pass through role attributes as class values on your titles.  But those role values are to be entered by the author, and are not default values.  In the case of DocBook's HTML output, the default class values are added by the XSL stylesheet:

One can write CSS selectors to match on these default class values.  It looks like you are looking to override the default class values with other values using the role attribute.  Is that because you want the authors to be able to assign different styles to different chapter titles?  Your example only showed one style, so I wasn't sure if that's what you intended.

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2006 9:19 AM

>> I understand that you want to propagate role values to class attributes in the HTML, but I'm not clear on what you mean by assigning default role values to elements.  That is usually a function of the DTD.  Can you give an example of what you mean? <<

Given the enterprise CSS class selectors:

.foo-section-header {

      padding: 3px;

      background-color: #6B1424;

      color: #FFFFFF;

      font-weight: bold;

      font-size: 115%;

}

.foo-paragraph-header {

      font-weight: bold;

      color: #6B1424;

}

.foo-emphasis {

      font-style: italic;

}

.foo-bold {

      font-weight: bold;

}

the following DocBook element roles would be applied:

<sect1><phrase role=”foo-paragraph-header”>Foo</phrase></sect1>

<sect2><phrase role=”foo-paragraph-header”>Foo</phrase></sect2>

<sect3><phrase role=”foo-paragraph-header”>Foo</phrase></sect3>

<sect4><phrase role=”foo-paragraph-header”>Foo</phrase></sect4>

<sect5><phrase role=”foo-paragraph-header”>Foo</phrase></sect5>

<emphasis role=”foo-emphasis”>foo</emphasis>

<emphasis role=”foo-bold”>foo</emphasis>

What I overlooked is that propagates.style is not supported in chapter or section titles.

So the question regarding default roles would apply to elements of which propagates.style is supported in the stylesheets.

Would chapter-title.propagates.style and section-title.propagates.style be considered a viable feature request in forthcoming stylesheet releases?

As most other common DocBook elements support propagates.style, the aforementioned request combined with default element role inclusions and values would result in integrated presentation-layer conformance; the holy grail of content publishing ‘round here.

Ray