Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] disregard-shifts

On 11/17/06, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> It is impossible to create default output for DocBook that everyone
> would like. But you are free to change appearance of output very easily
> by specifying your own FO properties using corresponding attributes sets
> in the DocBook XSL stylesheets.

I realize that and was not criticizing the stylesheet authors. I just
wanted to know why it was done so that I could avoid whatever the
original problem was. Your explanation lets me know why people in the
old thread were suggesting[1] customizations such as:

<xsl:template
match="para[.//footnote|.//footnoteref|.//superscript|.//subscript]">
 <fo:block line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts">
  <xsl:apply-imports/>
 </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200304/msg00366.html