Subject: Is there a workaround for FOP 0.20.5 [ERROR] Areas pending, textprobably lost in line xxxx

Hi - I'm using Docbook 4.4 / 1.70.0 with FOP 0.20.5.  Occasionally I get
an error from FOP that looks like

[ERROR] Areas pending, text probably lost in line <followed by the line
content...>

If I compare the html output (which doesn't have an error) with the PDF,
I see that these always seem to occur at
the bottom of a page, often (but not always) when there is a footnote
taking up some space.  The text that's being lost
in one case was one word, in another case, it was an otext-generated
"page number" in a cross reference.

Does anyone know of a work-around for these errors?

-Marshall Schor