Subject: XSLT and <biblio*/>

I typically need to provide bibliographic information in APA format.

How difficult would it be for me to define role-based (book,
periodical, etc.) biblioentrys and process those correctly with
customizations to the docbook stylesheets?

Has anyone already done this? (Hoping to save myself some work)

I manage the actual bib data by hand via an external file, entries
called as eg...

  <bibliography>
   <bibliomixed id="McGregor01"/>
   <bibliomixed id="Haugland03"/>
   <bibliomixed id="Hamill04"/>
   <bibliomixed id="Dibona99"/>
   <bibliomixed id="Laurant04"/>
</bibliography>

A sample entry from my biblio.xml

     <bibliomixed id="Laurant04">St. Laurant, A., et al. <title>
             <emphasis>Understanding open source and free software
             licensing.</emphasis>
             <publishername>O'Reilly Media, Inc.</publishername>
         </publisher>
     </bibliomixed>

I really want to (hopefully) get away from building so much
presentation information directly in the biblio entries.

What I'd like to do is something like...

     <biblioentry id="Laurant04" role="apa">
         <title>Understanding open source and free software
licensing.</title>
         <date>2004</date>
         <edition>1st</edition>
         <authorgroup>
             <author>
                 <firstname>A.</firstname>
                 <surname>Laurant</surname>
             </author>
         </authorgroup>
         <publisher>
             <publishername>O'Reilly Media, Inc.</publishername>
         </publisher>
     </biblioentry>

And end up with

St. Laurant, A., et al. Understanding open source and free software
licensing. (2004).
1st ed.Sebastopol:O'Reilly Media, Inc.

Any pointers or examples would be appreciated.

-David