Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Novice questions (repost)

On 1/15/07, Ron Catterall <ron@catterall.net> wrote:

>       well, i.e. PDF reps. Do you have any suggestions of the
>       postprocessors that I should use (commercial or free). Its
>       imperative that they can handle MathML.
> <<<
>

> As far as I know the only way to go direct from XML (or FO) to PDF is using
> the Antenna House XSL Formatter with the Mathml add-in (~$600 total as I
> remember)  latest version is 4.1 with a patch issued a few days ago.
> http://www.antennahouse.com/
> I haven't bought or used it, so I've no idea about how good or complete it
> is.  They claim to support MathML 2.0 (and also SVG 1.1)
>

> Mike Smith has suggested that going via dblatex might be a free option.
>

> The following from the archive might have some useful pointers
>

> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:40:56 -0500
> From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris@chiasson.name>
> Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Docbook + MathML "state of the art"?
>
>  It would be nice to know if PTC's Arbortext implementation actually
>  puts text characters into the output or if it vectorizes the fonts
>  (like SVG Math). Also, I am curious as to how it handles line wrapping
>  for long expressions, especially ones that contain the <mtable>
>  element (mtable is frequently used to align equations in presentation
>  MathML).

Things have changed a bit since my post on SVGMath. With generous help
from Nikolai Grigoriev, I was able to make SVGMath work for my
project:

http://code.google.com/p/mmade/

As it turns out, SVGMath only vectorized the font glyphs that can't
otherwise be rendered, such as stretchable parentheses. The other
glyphs, such as the letters in variable names, appear as selectable
text in the PDF. I am guessing this means SVGMath turns them into text
paths in the SVG. Honestly, it is one of the more flexible possible
approaches. One way it could get better is if it took into account the
surrounding xsl:fo markup when rendering the math (instead of just
relying on the presentation MathML itself). I would be surprised if
the Antenna House product took into account the xsl:fo formatting. I
only know of one MathML product that can take into account the
surrounding formatting: Firefox (and friends).

I am ignoring, for this email, the concept of content MathML.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/