Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Formation of a new DocBook SubCommittee for ProfessionalPublishing

Indeed. While one of the primary focuses of the subcommittee will be on
book-oriented content, there is certainly opportunity to explore other
base content types, just as article is also a valid DocBook construct.

Thank you for your interest and additional feedback!

Best regards,

--Scott

GARY Hoffman wrote:
> Scott:
>
> This is an excellent idea. May I suggest, however, that legal
> publications not be limited to books. You should also include legal
> memoranda, law reviews, trial briefs and appellate briefs (recognizing,
> of course, that the required form of legal briefs varies from one
> jurisdiction to another).
>
> Thank you,
>

> Gary L. Hoffman, J.D., LL.M.
> Erickson & Sederstrom, P.C.
> (A Limited Liability Organization)
> 10330 Regency Parkway Drive
> Omaha, NE  68114
> USA
> (402) 390-7117
> (402) 390-7137 (fax)
> e-mail: ghoff@eslaw.com <mailto:ghoff@eslaw.com>
> resume: www.eslaw.com <http://www.eslaw.com>
>
> This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
> may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
> review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not
> the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
>
> TAX ADVICE DISCLAIMER: Under applicable U.S. Treasury Regulations, we
> are required to inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this
> email or any attachment hereto is not intended or written to be used,
> and cannot be used, either (i) for purposes of avoiding penalties
> imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) for promoting,
> marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matter
> addressed herein.
>

>  >>> Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> 1/22/2007
> 6:29:16 PM >>>
> Fellow DocBook enthusiasts,
>
> The DocBook Technical Committee is amenable to the idea of sanctioning
> certain customizations of DocBook without changing core DocBook.
>
> It has been suggested that subcommittees could be formed for the purpose
> of creating official customization layers to support the needs of
> various domains. These customizations will officially be "DocBook
> variants", but will also drive requirements back to core DocBook.
>
> I would like to propose the formation of a DocBook SubCommittee for
> Professional Publishing.
>
> The charter for this SC may include support for:
> - Supporting periodicals as regularly published
>   technical notes or journals.
> - Professional book publishing (such as business, legal, medical, etc)
> - Textbooks
>
> The charter will not include support (initially) for:
> - magazine and layout-intensive publishing
>
> Please respond if you are interested in participating. If there is
> enough interest, and the TC approves the formation of the subcommittee,
> then the initial tasks will be to create a statement of work, and submit
> it to the TC for approval.
>
> A first priority will be to identify which kinds of professional
> publishing applications are most amenable to DocBook, and where exchange
> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Scott Hudson
n:Hudson;Scott
org:Flatirons Solutions
adr:Suite 200;;4747 Table Mesa Drive ;Boulder;CO;80305;USA
email;internet:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com
title:Consultant
tel;work:303-542-2146
tel;fax:303-544-0522