Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using <h1> for chapter titles in HTML output

Hi Peter,
The template named 'component.title' in html/component.xsl handles
generating the <h2> element.  It computes a $level variable and then adds 1
to get the h heading.  You'll need to customize that to set $level to zero
for chapters.

DocBook Consulting

From: "Peter Desjardins" <pdesjardins@supplyscape.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:11 AM

I am trying to customize HTML output so that MS Word will open the HTML
files in a way that produces consistent paragraph styles.  In
particular, I want chapter titles in the DocBook content to become <h1>
elements so that they eventually map to the default "Heading 1"
paragraph style in MS Word.  By default, the chapter title is output in
an <h2> element.

My searching the docbook-apps archives, HTML parameter documentation,
and experimenting with XSL customizations has not turned up an answer
for me.

Can anyone point me to a configuration that will cause chapter titles to
appear in the HTML <h1> element?

In case it matters, the DocBook content uses <section> elements rather
than <sect1>, <sect2>, and so on.  Also, I don't mind that the <book>
title is already <h1>.  Having both the book and chapter titles use <h1>
is not a problem for me.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Desjardins