Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] "WYSIWYG Writer" Friendly Editing Tools

Also consider XMetal from BlastRadius and Arbortext Editor.  Both have macro languages that are pretty powerful.  Also, Serna has a Python API.

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:51 AM

One of the issues facing the writing group with which I work is finding tools that are "WYSIWYG writer" friendly so that the majority of writers in the group don't immediately give up on writing documentation in XML because "it looks ugly", "I don't know what it will look like when I'm done", "it looks too much like code", "there is no support for automatically keeping track of cross reference anchors", and so on. There is a long history of Frame Maker use in the group and an ongoing effort to make Frame Maker, using a template that looks and feels exactly like our old unstructured Frame Maker template, edit Docbook XML. The effort to make Frame Maker work as a Docbook editor has gotten close, but  there are a number of things it just cannot handle yet and I'd much rather spend my time, and that of the other writers, getting comfortable with a lighter weight tool that actually is built for working with XML.
Does anybody have suggestions for either an XML editor that is close to WYSIWYG and supports text entities? XXE does a great job with WYSIWYG, but does not support text entities.
Suggestions about how to break the dependency on WYSIWIG would also be greatly appreciated.