Subject: Text Entites and Docbook 5

I'm currently using Docbook 4.4 for my documents and I use externally resolved text entities quite a lot in my documents to make them portable and share a lot of information like product name and versions across all of the files for a particular library. In reading over the transition guide it looks as though entities are not as easily support using Docbook 5. Is this true and if so, what strategies are good for replacing external entities?
Cheers,
Eric J.