Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] block-container with absolute-position="fixed" not working

The fo:block-container is supported in fop-0.93, but I've found it does not always work as expected (e.g., the "bottom" property seems to have no effect). You will also have better results if you define a width and height for the block-container and put a temporary border on it so you can see what is going on.  I put this example in my fo file just before the closing tag for fo:flow.  The red box with the words appeared on the last page that had content.

      <fo:block-container absolute-position="fixed" height="30mm" width="50mm"
           border="0.5pt solid red" left="50mm" top="50mm">
        <fo:block>GOT BLOCK-CONTAINER</fo:block>
      </fo:block-container>
DocBook Consulting

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:21 PM

Hi,

I have been creating a customization layer for DocBook XSL with very nice results. Switched some fonts, tweaked things here and there, the goal is to have the "almost-professionally-published" look end the result right from the start.

I use DocBook DG + Sagehill's book as a guide. (Sagehill turned out to be very concise in its explanation regarding tweaking the XSL-FO... perhaps I should get the XSL-FO book from O'Reilly)

The problem I currently have right now is how to put the 'chapter title' in a fixed position on the top-left corner of the page. First I tried using <fo:block absolute-position="fixed"> with lots of options and didn't work. After some searching on the net it turned out that 'fixed' only supported by 'block-container'. Switching to this one though, still doesn't work.

Even something like this:

<fo:block-container>
<fo:block>TEST</fo:block>
</fo:block-container>

When inserted into the titlepage's body flow, generated nothing (not even the text). Removing the block-container "works", in that it displays the "TEST" word but there is no way I get the block to freely position it somewhere.

I use Saxon 6 with FOP 0.93. Does this have anything to do with FOP?

Please help. Thank you very much, I really appreciate any help.

--
Hendy Irawan
Web: http://hendy.gauldong.net