Subject: HTML Indexes

Can anybody with knowledge of the HTML autoidx.xsl code give me a quick
overview of the steps the stylesheet goes through to produce the index.
I'm trying to get my head around the code and I feel like the answers
within reach but at the same time a long way away.

I'm looking to create a template which returns a string containing the
initial letters of all the index terms.

This string will be used to produce an alphabetical list with links to
indexdivs (I've already added some code to output an html anchor before
each indexdiv). The idea is to only produce links for those indexdivs
which have items under them and have a list of links at the top of the
page to go to the correct indexdiv.

Many Thanks in advance
Simon Kennedy

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html