Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] header.sep.rule

It's a bit confusing, but in DocBook XSL, a "titlepage" may or may not be a
separate page.  The titlepage template system handles title and info
information for all elements in a mostly uniform fashion.  For each
element, the specs may or may not specify separate pages.    For book,
"titlepage" is the recto and verso book titlepages, and those are separate
pages.  For chapter, "titlepage" is just the first part of the first page,
and it is not a separate page.

Also, a book creates more than one page sequence for its children.  Each
page-sequence has a pageclass value. In the case of book, it creates one
page-sequence with pageclass="titlepage" for its titlepage info, and other
page-sequences for other elements in the book.  A chapter generates a
page-sequence with pageclass="body", and the titlepage info appears on the
first page of that page-sequence, followed by the rest of the chapter
content.

In this situation, the head.sep.rule template also needs to consider the
$sequence parameter, which can be first, last, odd, or even.  In this case,
use this test to turn off that header rule:

  <xsl:when test="$pageclass = 'body' and $sequence = 'first'">

DocBook Consulting