Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] section in sidebar?

Perhaps I am not fully understanding this problem, but I fail to see why this kind of content would *need* to be in a sidebar.

Would something like <section role="side-feature"> really be inappropriate?  Take a look at the sidebar example from the Guide:

<sect1>
  <para>Some narrative text.</para>
  <sidebar>
    <title>A Sidebar</title>
    <para>Sidebar content.</para>
  </sidebar>
  <para>The continuing flow of the narrative text, as if the sidebar was not present.</para>
</sect1>

Here, the sidebar content is understood to be outside of the narrative flow.  Why would this be conceptually different on a larger scale...

<section>
  <para>Some narrative text.</para>
  <para> Some more narrative text.</para>
</section>

<section role="side-feature">
  <para>Text outside of narrative flow.</para>
  <para>More text outside of narrative flow.</para>
</section>

<section>
  <para>The continuing flow of the narrative text, as if the sidebar was not present.</para>
</section>

...?

Then, put section[@role='side-feature'] in a block-container or something and position it as you please.

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding, though.

Colin

On 4/12/07, Keith Fahlgren <abdelazer@gmail.com > wrote:
On 4/11/07, Scott Hudson < scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is content that is outside the narrative flow of the
> main text, and is about a page or two long. It's more like a "feature"
> that you might see in many Trade publications...

Yeah, I immediately thought of the comparable material in some of our
more layout-intensive titles. Perhaps this sort of content would be a
good thing to discuss at the DocBook SubCommittee for Publishers....

Keith