Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Images in PDF appear too large

Setting ignore.image.scaling to 1 definitely has an effect Chris --
basically it gives the same result as if no size information was
included at all.

What I've come up with recently is that the best way to get a decent
looking, non-scaled image using FOP 0.93 is to set the resolution of
the image to 96dpi. If you look at the attached very short DocBook
document, you'll see three inline images being included -- the only
difference between these images is that the dpi is set differently
(72, 96, and 300 dpi) -- all three images have the same pixel
dimensions.

In testimage2.pdf, you can see that the graphic that comes closest to
being displayed at the correct size is the 96dpi version with no
specification for width, depth, contentwidth, or contentdepth. As soon
as any sizes are specified (even when the sizes are the actual sizes
of the image), the images are displayed incorrectly.

The testimage2a.pdf file uses the same xml source, but was created
using the ignore.image.scaling that you suggested. In this file, the
96dpi version still looks the best, but it doesn't matter if specify
dimensions or not; the ignore.image.scaling causes them to be changed
to "auto" in the FOP output anyway.