Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XSL and tex equations

Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> I think this should be possible, but the only relevant reference I
> found googling around is this quite old post:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200112/msg00035.html
>
> dating December 2001, while the DBTex method seems only to work with
> DSSSL.

I'm quoting page to which you linked above:

"I just commit few changes to XSL stylesheets to CVS. XSL stylesheets
now directly support TeX equations in documents. It is XSL based
implementation of DBTeXMath by Allin Cottrell"

So from this statement it seems apparent that this method is supported
also by XSL stylesheets. For more information you can see:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TexMath.html

> I would like to avoid to use MathML, due to its need for a graphical
> editor,

You can easily paste MathML code into DocBook for example from
OpenOffice equation editor.

> so using the compact tex notation plus the possibility to
> exploit the same beatiful equation rendering engine of tex seems the
> ideal solution.

If you want to render TeX math in browser you should consider using
excellent jsMath package:

http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/

It gives much more better results then equations stored as bitmap images.

It is not directly supported by DocBook XSL stylesheets, but if there
are request for this feature, I can extend TeX math support in DocBook
stylesheets to emit markup required by jsMath.

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz

OpenPGP digital signature