Subject: Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** [docbook-apps] Semantically correct XHTML output project

El Miércoles, 16 de Mayo de 2007 11:48, Nicolas RAINARD escribió:

> [COMMENT FROM N.R.] Somebody (I don't remember who and when) said:
> "Be flexible in what you accept as input, be strict in what you
> output" (or something the like). Strict 1.0 (or maybe even 1.1) XHTML
> is much easier and simpler to implement than the Transitional one.

I would propose to base it on the XHTML-1.1 DTD from the beginning, to get rid
of that deprecated @lang and @name attributes. Apart from that and the Ruby
support XHTML-1.1 and XHTML-1.0-Strict are near the same:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/changes.html

Note that the @style attribute has been marked also as deprecated although is
still valid to use it on 1.1.

> [COMMENT FROM N.R.] This CSS file shouldn't be necessary, since XHTML
> aims to be fully accessible and readable without any presentation.
> But it would be nice to (optionally) have it, if only to give an
> example on how to use the CSS hooks (see section 6).

I agree. The final look is a matter of personal choice. Maybe a css/
sub-directory containing contributed CSS example files would be better than
shipping a default one.

> 5. Unless specified via the role attribute (or some other mechanism),
> The only DIV to be generated inside the main content div will be
> admonitions, sidebars and highlights.

IMHO, there is no other way to keep the semantic DB meaning of  <set>, <book>,
than creating a <div id="@id" class="local.name(.) |
@user_selected_attribute"> for each one of them.

I would say "generate a DIV only for that DB block elements that are
containers for several mixed DB block elements"

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia