Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Whitespace in <indexterm>

Hi Steve,
First, make sure you have indent="no" in an xsl:output element in your
customization layer.  If indent="yes" (which is nice for examining the FO
file), then it introduces unwanted whitespace in FO output.

DocBook Consulting

From: "Steve Blair" <sblair@vocera.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:06 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Whitespace in <indexterm>

Hi Everyone,

I'm using <indexterm> tags that are formatted like this for readability:

<para>
This index entry is in
<indexterm>
<primary>formatting</primary>
<secondary>index entry</secondary>
</indexterm>
the middle of a paragraph.
</para>

FOP 0.93 creates a PDF file with unwanted whitespace in paragraphs that
use these index entries. FOP 0.20.5 rendered paragraphs containing these
same entries without whitespace.

I'm guessing that the behavior I saw in 0.20.5 was a bug (although it
was what I wanted), and that the behavior in 0.93 is the intended
behavior. I think this is because whitespace is significant in a
non-block element, and <indexterm> is a non-block element.

Can I change the behavior of FOP 0.93 to make it ignore the whitespace
within the <indexterm> tag? Based on a recent message from Manuel
Canales
(http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200706/msg00003.html),
it seems like I should be able to set an xsl:space value, but I don't
know where to set it or what value to give it--I can't find it
documented in Norman Walsh's _DocBook XSL Stylesheet Reference
Documentation_ or in Bob Stayton's _DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide_.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve Blair
Director of Technical Publications