Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Complex parameters.

Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>, 2007-07-03 09:08 +0100:

> I'm 'abusing' docbook stylesheets, by using it for another schema.
>
> One of the things I want, which Norm agreed isn't handled well in docbook,
> is a way of handling names locally.
>
> I say Walsh, Norm, you say Norm Walsh.
> If we think of all the variations round the world, then it becomes complex.
>
> I'm looking for a way of specifying a parameter to indicate
> the required order of presentation of a number of elements.

You might want to take a look at this:

  [Proposal for adding name-format markup to the CLDR]
  http://unicode.org/cldr/bugs/locale-bugs/future?id=177;user=guest

Handling display/ordering of names across locales is complex
enough (see the example of Irish naming in the above) that I
suspect you're probably going to find it very difficult to put
together portable markup for it.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith