Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using HTML profiling breaks olinks and HTML navigation

Hi Jeff,
Here is what is happening.  The stylesheet interprets a relative path in the stylesheet parameter $target.database.document as relative to the directory containing the document being processed.  The profile-chunk.xsl stylesheet runs the profiling step on your file and saves the result as a copy of your document in memory, before applying the formatting stylesheets to the profiled copy. But the in-memory document is not a file, and so it does not have base directory. So relative paths for olinkdb.xml cannot work.

You have two choices:
a.  Use profile-chunk.xsl, and use a full path for target.database.document parameter.

b.  Use two-step profiling and a relative path, so the profiled version is a file that has a base directory.

The Next and Previous issue could be in the way you structure your customization layer.  Chunking customization requires a special setup, as described in:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ChunkingCustomization.html

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:08 AM

I tried implementing support for conditionalized text in my documentation. I followed the instructions at http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Profiling.html and everything seemed to go smoothly. PDF output with conditionalized text works great.

However, I encountered a few problems with HTML output.

I would like chunked HTML output (several small files instead of one file), so I had been importing this stylesheet in my customization layer:

<xsl:import href="../xsl/html/chunk.xsl"/>

To use profiling (conditions), I imported this stylesheet instead:

<xsl:import href="../xsl/html/profile-chunk.xsl"/>

Since I’m using modular documents, I use olinks for cross-referencing. After I switched to using the profiling stylesheet, the olinks can’t be resolved. I get errors like this:

warning: failed to load external entity "olinkdb.xml"

Olink error: could not open target database 'olinkdb.xml'.

Error: unresolved olink: targetdoc/targetptr = 'bookid/topicid'.

All of the olinks resolved fine before I switched to importing the profiling stylesheet. Also, HTML navigation (for example, Previous and Next links) is now missing from the HTML output. Again, it worked fine before I imported the profiling stylesheet.

Has anyone encountered these problems?

BTW, I’m using the following tools:

  • DocBook 4.5 XSL 1.7.2
  • FOP 0.93