Subject: customization layer for DocBook 5.0: The Transition Guide

Hello,

I'm interested in achieving the effects that I see on the title page of
DocBook V5.0: The Transition Guide [1]--namely, the "this version",
"latest version", "previous versions", and "authors" lists I see on this
HTML article and at the top of all W3C specifications.

Is this achieved through a customization layer, server-side processing,
or something else entirely?

On a related note, have I mentioned that a DocBook
"cookbook"--publishing effects and how to achieve them--would be a
really great resource?

Cheers,

Brett

[1] http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto