Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Managing changes to the XSLT stylesheets

Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:

> Confused. As you say, each time you update you lose your changes if
> you modify 'docbooks' stylesheets.
> A customization layer is much nicer, and re-usable.
> E.g. if your directory stuff was in one stylesheet, I could include that
> before the docbook ones. Then I get mine, yours, docbooks, all in
> the right priority order.

I think the problem Geraint wanted to point out is that a
customization layer does not pick up altered templates in a new
version of the stylesheets automatically. Assume you override the
rendering of element A for whatever reason, based on version 1.68, and
put that into a customization layer. Then you upgrade the official
stylesheets to 1.73 which contain a new version of the template of
element A. Thanks to your customization layer, you still use your
(modified) version of 1.68.

regards,
Markus

--