Subject: Re: [docbook] text profiling issue

[moving this over to docbook-apps where such topics are discussed]

Can you provide a very short example document that does not work, and the
error message it generates?

DocBook Consulting

  From: Roman Banks
  To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
  Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 5:49 AM
  Subject: [docbook] text profiling issue

  Hi Guys,

  I've read the "Processing profiled versions" section in
  Bob Stayton's book and I was very happy that Docbook has a kind
  of conditional text mechanism. So tried to implement
  it. I would like to have two kinds of reference as a
  conditional text:

  For example:

  For HTML output:
  I would like to have <xref linkend="smtp_server"/>

  For PDF output I would like to have <xref linkend="smtp_server"
xrefstyle="template:%t on page%p"/>

  So I did the following:

  1) In my source XML I modified the xref as follows:
  <phrase role="print">
      <xref linkend="smtp_server" xrefstyle="template:%t
  on page %p"/>
    </phrase>

    <phrase role="html">
      <xref linkend="smtp_server"/>
    </phrase>).

  2) In my html.xsl I removed the imported docbook.xsl
  and added the following:
  <xsl:import
  href="/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/html/profile-docbook.xsl"/>
  <xsl:param name="profile.role" select="'html'"/>

  3) In my print.xsl, I removed the imported docbook.xsl
  and added the following:
  <xsl:import
  href="/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/fo/profile-docbook.xsl"/>
  <xsl:param name="profile.role" select="'print'"/>

  In this specific document it works, but when I compile
  other documents (without modifying them with the
  <phrase> construction), the compilation fails because
  of xrefs that cannot be resolved.

  Why does this happen? Please, advise.

  Thanks in advance!
  Roman