Subject: Trying to understand XInclude usage

Hi all

I'm having some issues with modular documents. I'm using xmlto
 http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/xmlto/
to process the DocBook to HTML. xmlto uses xsltproc. I'm using XXE from
XMLMind to edit (I posted a different version of this mail to the XXE
support list).

(1) When xi:including elements in the same document, XXE writes e.g.::

   <xi:include href="" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
               xpointer="acronyms" />

The 'href=""' makes xsltproc complain: "element include: XInclude error
: detected a recursion in ../glossary.xml". It drops the offending
directive.

This works::

   <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
               xpointer="acronyms" />

(2) The 'acronyms' id refers to a <glossdiv> element, which itself
contains includes. While xsltproc does resolve those includes in the
original glossdiv occurence, it doesn't resolve them when they've been
included. Here's a simplified snippet to illustrate::

 <glossary id="manual">
   <glossdiv>...</glossdiv>
   <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
               xpointer="acronyms" />
 </glossary>

 <glossary>
   <glossdiv id="acronyms">
     <glossentry>
       <glossterm>...</glossterm>
       <glossdef>
           Some text .. <xi:include href="terms.xml"
               xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
               xpointer="element(operator)" />
       </glossdef>
     </glossentry>
   </glossdiv>
 </glossary>

When I process this, 'operator' is only resolved once. When processing
the glossary with id 'manual', xsltproc reports: "No template matches
xi:include in para.", and generates this HTML::

Is this an issue with xsltproc, or with the DocBook stylesheets?

--