Subject: postion page numbers in footer problem

Hello,

I am using Docbook 1.69.1 to create a book with multiple chapters. I am using <xsl:param name="double.sided">0</xsl:param> because I don’t want any blank pages between my chapters. It is perfectly okay for one of my chapters to begin on an even page (not a standard format book). Most of my formatting comes out fine. However, I have a problem with my running footer section. I want my page number to be on the left for even pages and on the right for odd pages. Because the first page of a chapter has “$sequence=first”, but the page can be odd or even, I can’t dynamically detect which side to put the page number.

Can someone suggest a way to handle this situation?

Jerry J