Subject: Re: [docbook] problem with customizing header

[moving this over to the docbook-apps mailing list where stylesheet issues
are discussed]

Hi Andreas,
Welcome to DocBook.  Since you are new, you would not have known that the
docbook mailing list is for discussion of elements and schemas, and the
docbook-apps list is for stylesheet and other application issues.  I would
suggest you subscribe to both.

I publish a book on customizing DocBook XSL, and you can access it for free
in HTML form at:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

In particular, you want to look at how to create a stylesheet customization
layer at:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html#CustomizationLayer

That will explain that you don't need to edit the original stylesheet files
to customize.

Regarding your specific questions:

- The running page headers are already as wide as the page, within the
margins.  Can you provide more details of what you want?

- You don't need to include a <toc/> element, as a toc can be generated
automatically.  See the stylesheet parameter named "generate.toc" in the
index of my book.

- Regarding chapter titles, there is a section in my book on customizing
them:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitleFontSizes.html#ChapterTitles

Hope this helps.