Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook editor

lars.bjerges@swedbank.se wrote:
> Hi.
> I have been using XMLmind XXE as a DocBook editor and it works fine.
> However I have been asked to investigate the possibility to use MS Word
> as an alternative and this is the reason for ma inquiry:
>
> Does anybody have any experience in using MS Word as a DocBook editor?
> Does it work?
> Is it easy or hard to set up?
> Is it easy or hard to use?

This sounds like a really bad idea. Not so much for technical reasons,
but because the MS-Word user-interface suggests a radically different
editing paradigm than what you would expect from a DocBook editor:

Not only does MS-Word not allow you to validate its content against
XML-like document-types, it doesn't even emphasis structure and content,
but presentation. With DocBook you'd actually aim for the opposite: keep
presentational aspects *out of* the authoring process.

HTH,
		Stefan