Subject: Re: Setting background image in fo and html output

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:33:26 +0200, AlChuck <alan.oehler@xxx> wrote:

> There is a way, it's described in Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL - The
> Complete Guide:
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageDesign.html

   I've read this. I looked at it again, and I still could not figure out a
way to use background images short of using custom page masters. It seems
like a lot of hassle just to get the background image in (but I guess
that's what I'll have to do).

   If I missed something and it's easier than this, please prove me wrong
and you'll have my gratitude. = )

> I haven't tried it yet for the body part of the page masters but it
> should
> work the same as with the area-before and area-after sections.
>
> I'm curious, if you didn't do the header and footer background images as
> described in this chapter, how did you do it?

   I did follow the instructions in
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PrintHeaders.html

   I would like the page background images be as modularly overrideable as
headers and footers are. For example, if in fo/pagesetup.xsl every page
master had a call to user overridable template (that is by default empty)
this would be easy. E.g.

     <fo:simple-page-master master-name="blank"
                            page-width="{$page.width}"
                            page-height="{$page.height}"
                            margin-top="{$page.margin.top}"
                            margin-bottom="{$page.margin.bottom}"
                            margin-left="{$margin.left.outer}"
                            margin-right="{$page.margin.inner}">
       <xsl:if test="$axf.extensions != 0">
         <xsl:call-template name="axf-page-master-properties">
           <xsl:with-param name="page.master">blank</xsl:with-param>
         </xsl:call-template>
       </xsl:if>
       <fo:region-body display-align="center"
                       margin-bottom="{$body.margin.bottom}"
                       margin-top="{$body.margin.top}">
         <xsl:if test="$fop.extensions = 0 and $fop1.extensions = 0">
           <xsl:attribute name="region-name">blank-body</xsl:attribute>
         </xsl:if>

<!-- if this was actually here it would be easy to insert background
images: -->
<!-- The same call would naturally be made in region-before and
region-after -->
<xsl:call-template name="user.page.region">
   <xsl:with-param name="master-name" select="'blank'"/>
   <xsl:with-param name="location" select="'region-body'"/>
</xsl:call-template>
<!-- end my insertion -->

       </fo:region-body>
       <fo:region-before region-name="xsl-region-before-blank"
                         extent="{$region.before.extent}"
                         display-align="before"/>
       <fo:region-after region-name="xsl-region-after-blank"
                        extent="{$region.after.extent}"
                         display-align="after"/>
     </fo:simple-page-master>

<!-- default implementation of this template -->
<xsl:template name="user.page.region"/>

   Of course I can modify fo/pagesetup.xsl myself, but that does not sound
like such a good idea from maintenance point of view...

           .::AK::.