Subject: multiple Xinclude

I have a document that use multiple recursive include. Each included
file is in a subdirectory. For example, I have master.docbook that
includes chapter1.docbook which includes section1.docbook which includes
an SVG image file in IMAGES_DIR/image1.svg

These files are structured as follows:

ROOT_DIR
    master.docbook
    CHAPTERS_DIR
        chapter1.docbook
        SECTIONS_DIR
               section1.docbook
               IMAGES_DIR
                     image1.svg

When I compile the file master.docbook to produce pdf the images do not
show, and I get this error during fop:

     [exec] org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeException:
file:/home/mansour/PATH_TO/ROOT_DIR/:-1
     [exec] An I/O error occured while processing the URI:
     [exec] "#folder"
     [exec] specified on the element <use>
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.getReferencedElement(Unknown Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.SVGUseElementBridge.buildCompositeGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.SVGUseElementBridge.createGraphicsNode(Unknown
Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildComposite(Unknown Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildComposite(Unknown Source)
     [exec]     at
org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.buildGraphicsNode(Unknown Source)

However, when I remove the CHAPTERS_DIR and put everything in it with
the same level as master.docbook, things work fine. For example if I do
this:

ROOT_DIR
    master.docbook
    chapter1.docbook
    SECTIONS_DIR
        section1.docbook
        IMAGES_DIR
            image1.svg

Then things are OK. Of course I change the path in the master.docbook.
What am I missing??