Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XInclude without xml:base

Hi,

On Montag, 3. März 2008, Mansour wrote:
> I am looking to include a file in my docbook document, but I don't want
> to generate xml:base. Is there a way to do this ??
> I know "keep.relative.image.uris" can be used. But I am not using
> images. I need to include a text/xml file.

I am not sure what you want to achieve, so maybe some background
information might be useful:

According to the XInclude specification[1], "each element information item
in the top-level included items which has a different base URI than its
include parent has an attribute information item added to its attributes
property. [see 4.5.5 Base URI Fixup]" (which is in fact the xml:base
attribute).

There *may* be an option in your XML parser or XInclude processor,
because "An XInclude processor may, at user option, suppress xml:base
and/or xml:lang fixup." [see 4.5 Creating the Result Infoset] So you
should check the available options.

If there is no option, I fear, the only method is to post process your
document with an XSLT stylesheet. You have to copy every element,
attribute, comment and processing instruction node except xml:base. I
don't think, this is a good idea. Normally, xml:base isn't harmful.

Hope it was a bit helpful. :)

Bye,
Tom

-------