Subject: page-number-format and page-number-restart in article

Hi,

I've been drilling through the archives for while and I think that I might have clevered myself into a corner.

I'm creating specification documents and using the article element as my root. My main reason for using the article rather than the book element was to give my authoring community more structural flexibility (i.e. authoring sections rather than chapters allows us to use content that might be a top-level "chapter" in one document as a lower-level "section" in another; something we can't do when we author in chapters.

Now that I'm trying to produce the PDFs, I'm having issues with page numbering. Basically, we have 3-4 pages of boilerplate ISO-compliance information at that start of every document, then we have the titlepage, then we have the ToC, LoT, and LoF, and then the content begins. In a perfect world, I'd restart the page numbering after the ISO data and on the first page of content, and have roman numerals at the beginning, switching to arabic after the LoF.

I'm getting the increasing impression from the mailing list and the documentation that the Docbook XSL scripts are structured in such as way as to make this a major rework, rather than adding a few page masters and tweaking some parameters. Am I mistaken here? Any suggestions for a good approach to this would be appreciated.

Jeff Hooker, Technical Writer, Technical Communications
PMC-Sierra, Inc., 100-2700 Production Way, Burnaby BC  V5A 4X1
(Tel)  604.415.6000 x 2255
(Cell) 778-855-7406