Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Request For Clarification: Indexterm processingin auto-index generation.

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> was heard to say:
> | Bob Stayton wrote:
> |> FrameMaker's online help index uses this format:
> |>
> |> cats [1]
> |> dogs [1] [2]
> |>
> |> where the [1] is the hot text that takes you to the point
> |> destination.  All entries have [1], and any duplicates get more
> |> numbers.  It is pretty obvious that those are not page numbers.
> |>
> |> Just another suggestion.
> |
> | My basic point is that the author should identify duplicates
> | (perhaps from viewing the presented format) and do something about it.
>
> But that flies completely in the face of 500-or-so years of indexing
> tradition.

html hasn't been around for 500 years Norm. I think that's one of
the sticking points for me?
  The print model has the page number as the 'hot text'.
  The html model hasn't, hence my suggestion for the simplest
  model that works.

> Terms in an index identify concepts that may be discussed in several
> places in a document. In general, *the same concept* may be discussed
> in several places; in such cases, it would not only be an excruciating
> exercise for the author to differentiate them in some way, *it would
> be wrong*.

Hence my suggestion to 'hint' to the author that secondary terms
indicating that this concept is discussed (differently) in different
places.

regards

--
Dave Pawson