Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to include Mathematical equations in DocBook5 ?

Thank you for your reply.

Following the instructions on http://docbook.org/docs/howto/#faq-customization-mathml, I downloaded the MathML RELAX NG schema from http://yupotan.sppd.ne.jp/relax-ng/mml2.html & unpacked it in "mathml" directory. Added the following lines to my customdocbook.rng
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<grammar xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">

<include href="/path/to/docbook.rng">
  <define name="db._any.mml">
    <externalRef href="mathml/mathml2.rng"/>
  </define>

  <define name="db._any">
    <element>
      <anyName>
        <except>
          <nsName ns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"/>
          <nsName ns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"/>
          <nsName ns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"/>
        </except>
      </anyName>
      <zeroOrMore>
        <choice>
          <attribute>
            <anyName/>
          </attribute>
          <text/>
          <ref name="db._any"/>
        </choice>
      </zeroOrMore>
    </element>
  </define>
</include>
</grammar>

Then, I added the following equation:
<sect1><title>Equations <title>
<equation>
            <title>My MathML example</title>
            <mml:math>
                <mml:mrow>
                    <mml:mo>&sum;</mml:mo>
                    <mml:mn>4</mml:mn>
                    <mml:mo>+</mml:mo>
                    <mml:mi>x</mml:mi>
                </mml:mrow>
            </mml:math>
 </equation>
</sect1>

in the article.  When I tried to validate it, (I'm using oXygen XML Editor) I got error messages:

conflicting ID-types for attribute "linkend" of element "msginfo" from namespace "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"
The prefix "mml" for element "mml:math" is not bound.

I read the information on: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ProcesingDb5.html#Db5Validation
However, did not find it helpful, may be because I'm using the XML editor.

Any idea, why does it not like/recognize the prefix "mml"?

Thanks!

Bob Stayton wrote:
Hi,
In DocBook 5's RelaxNG schema, the imagedata, equation, and informalequation elements can contain elements in the MathML namespace.  So the equation example in the book is still accurate, you can just skip the DOCTYPE declarations.

Once you mix namespaces, though, validation becomes more complicated.  See this doc for more information:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ProcesingDb5.html#Db5Validation

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anagha Tongaonkar" <anagha@3dgeo.com>