Subject: Re: Re: [docbook-apps] Columns in index of article, with docbook-xsl-ns

Oh, right, the page numbering starts over because the context node is article when the page.sequence template is called by name.  Instead, that template can be called using appy-templates in a mode:

  <xsl:apply-templates select="index" mode="page.sequence">
    <xsl:with-param name="content">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="index"/>
    </xsl:with-param>
  </xsl:apply-templates>
(use d:index if you are using the namespaced stylesheets).
That sets the context node to be the index element, so now the page-sequence is handled as an index, and the page numbering does not restart.

The headers and footers aren't entirely empty.  The page number appears in the footer, as you noted.  Also, the "Index" title will appear in the header starting on the second page of the index page sequence. The default in DocBook is no header on the first page of a page-sequence.   If you want something else, a bit of customizing of the header.content template will make it do what you want.

Regarding a parameter for index column count, that actually already exists as the column.count.index parameter:

But it only applies when an index has its own page-sequence using the index page-master, not when an index is handled inside the article's body page-sequence.  I think what you want is a parameter to set an article index in its own page-sequence so the other parameter can apply.

Regarding modifying fo/component.xsl, that generally is not a good practice, as you found when you updated.  Rather, create a customization layer that imports the stock DocBook stylesheet, and add any customized templates there to override the stock templates.  Then you don't lose your customizations when you update.   See:

Hope this helps.

Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:31 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem as Rasmus and up to now I was using another suggestion Bob gave me on November 1, 2006 (Subject: generating an index with 2 columns) which also consisted of a modification of the fo/component.xsl plus the setting of the column.count.body stylesheet parameter to 2. This was doing the job but with some inconvenience:
  • the header contained the title of the last section instead of Index
  • more important, twice I updated the stylesheets and I forgot to re-apply the modification to fo/component.xsl and I ended with a complete document in 2 columns :-(
Therefore, I was very interested with the new proposed solution. I tried it and found the following problems:
  • The numbering of the Index pages restarts at 1 (shown also as page 1 in the Table of Contents)
  • The header and footer of the Index pages are empty
Whenever it is possible I use book but, for some of my documents, switching to a book is not really a solution because they contain several sections that cannot be organized into chapters and section is not a child of book.

Ideally, it would be possible to use a parameter to specify the number of columns in the Index pages.

Diane

Bob Stayton wrote:
Multiple columns are specified in the page-master, so your index content must be removed from the main article page-sequence that uses the "body" page-master and put into a new page-sequence using the "index" page-master. You would have to customize the template with match="article" from fo/component.xsl.

Near the end of the template, change:
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </fo:flow>
 </fo:page-sequence>

to:
     <xsl:apply-templates select="*[not(self::index)]"/>
   </fo:flow>
 </fo:page-sequence>
 <xsl:call-template name="page.sequence">
   <xsl:with-param name="master-reference">index</xsl:with-param>
   <xsl:with-param name="content">
     <xsl:apply-templates select="index"/>
   </xsl:with-param>
 </xsl:call-template>