Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: DocBook 5.x - the difference betweenmediaobject and inlinemediaobject

Jirka wrote:

>But some people prefer to use nested blocks, for example if you have
>let say enumeration presented as list inside one logical piece of
>text, [you] it is more precise to markup it as:
>
><para>
>   <itemizedlist>
>   </itemizedlist>
></para>
>
>then as
>
><para>
></para>
><itemizedlist>
></itemizedlist>
><para>
></para>

To my mind the first (embedded block) is the only logical way to
express the idea of a paragraph containing a list.  The second is
both inelegant and logically confused, the list is not in the para
where it belongs, and a logical para is artificially broken up into
three separate units - an obvious kludge.

If you don't like embedded blocks, use simpara.  Alternatively (and
not backwards compatible) change para to <complexpara> and change
simpara to para as Jirka suggests for simple use.

># model para after simpara (no nested blocks, no info)
>db.para =
>   element para
>   {
>      db.simpara.attlist,
>      db.all.inlines*
>   }

Personally I'd say docbook got it right first time; leave it alone.

Ron
--
Ron Catterall, Phd, DSc			       	email: ron@catterall.net
Prolongacion de Hidalgo 140				http://catterall.net/