Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Using Schematron to define templates

> Dick Hamilton wrote:
> > I'm working on a DocBook template for a documentation project
> > plan, and it occurred to me that once I have a template defined,
> > I could create a set of Schematron assertions to check that an
> > instance conforms to the template.
>
> How do you define 'conforms to the template Dick'?

I'm thinking of things like the business rule checks you mention below.
For example, you might want to require an info block at the top with
certain elements inside it.  Or you might have a sequence of sections
with specific names required.  That kind of thing.

> > I would want the instance to be valid DocBook at all times,
>
> DTD/rng validation.

Right; I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause an instance
to no longer validate with standard DB5.

>   but
> > would use Schematron to check for things like the presence of
> > required sections, the sequence of sections, the presence of
> > required metadata, and so forth.
>
> so these are 'non grammar' based checks? Call it business rules or
> something like that. Structure rules perhaps?

Right

> > Has anyone on the list used Schematron for something like this,
> > and if so how did it go?
>
> As you write the template, consider the related 'rules' you
> want to enforce and add another 'rule' to your Schematron file?

That sounds like a reasonable way to go.

> > I'd also be interested in any thoughts anyone has about the
> > appropriateness of using Schematron versus other methods (e.g.,
> > modifying the RelaxNG) for this purpose.
>
> Sounds just right. In fact just the sort of usage that
> Schematron was defined for?

That's what I was thinking.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Dick